CSA Week #2
Strawberry-Apple Brandy Jam and Sweet and Sour Chicken
Uh-oh, it's already Sunday of week #3, and I'm just getting around to posting last week's CSA menu. Help!!
Starting to feel the pressure of eating all my veggies in creative ways. Radishes, scallions, lettuce, strawberries, spinach arrived last week. I also enjoyed one of the last strawberry picking days at JenEhr farm, and added about 6 pounds of berries to my CSA share.
I'm trying an Asian twist--Sweet and Sour chicken, using the scallions and radishes. The strawberries, and some rhubarb from week #1 (the guy at the market called it “rude-barb”) have become jam and another crisp. Still have tons of lettuce, radishes, etc. Thought I might get to spring rolls, but not this week! Too busy repairing the chicken coop, and trying to invent uses for lettuce.
Alright, short and sweet, here it is.
Strawberry-Apple Brandy Jam adapted from Preserve Food.com and Dianne's Dishes
6 cups strawberries
4 cups rhubarb
3 cups sugar
2 T calcium water
3 tsp pectin
2 tbsp apple brandy (I used Madison-made Yahara Bay Apple Brandy)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp butter
1. Chop rude-barb into thin slices.
2. Place strawberries and rude-barb into stock pot.
3. Cook until soupy and mushy.
4. Add brandy to taste (I wish I had added more!) along with calcium water, pinch of salt and butter (to prevent foaming).
5. Mix 1 cup sugar with pectin and add to fruit mixture. Stir well.
6.Add remaining sugar and stir. Bring to rolling boil for one minute and remove from heat.
7.Pour jelly into sterilized, warm jars. I use the lid inversion method where you quickly turn jars upside down to seal. Some people use boiling water bath.
This made only 3 pints of jam!
And it is sooooo delicious.
Sweet and Sour Chicken adapted from Cook's Library Wok and Stir-Fry
1 tbsp canola oil
lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch pieces.
2-3 scallions, chopped.
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
½ zucchini, sliced
2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
½ cup bean sprouts
½ ripe pineapple, cut into small chunks
1 cup pineapple juice
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp arrowroot powder
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp honey
chili sauce to taste.
1. Heat oil and add chicken. Saute until chicken is almost cooked through, about 10 minutes.
2. Add scallions, bell pepper, zucchini and radishes and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add bean sprouts and pineapple and cook another 2 minutes.
4. Mix together pineapple juice through honey and add to veggies and chicken, stirring often. Cook for 5 minutes, until juices have thickened.
5. Serve over rice with chili sauce on the side.